Background and History
BC Crane Safety was formed in 2005 to create a certification program for crane operators in British Columbia. Their program is competency-based and includes theory and practical tests. Crane operators need to demonstrate what they know and can do safely and professionally no matter where or how they gained their skills. They have worked with more than 50 different industries that use cranes to develop a world-class program.
The BC Crane Safety Association wanted to expand their use of SharePoint features and create a centralized and secure document management system that met their business needs. They were looking to house, share and maintain certifications, policies, and procedures, including file naming, versioning, and maintaining archival and development files.
Their challenges were:
- Their collection of documents was not organized in a standardized content structure.
- They needed to automate some of their business processes to free up time for more value-add activities.
- They were lacking a single source of truth for their organizational data.
Spot Solutions was engaged by BC Crane to design an architecture for their SharePoint site, reorganize their content, and develop workflows to automate processes. The technologies used to accomplish this were Microsoft 365, SharePoint Online, and Power Automate.
The project was split into three phases. The initial phase was an assessment of their current state, followed by planning their future state, and finishing up with an implementation phase.
The project was very successful, and they now have a single source of truth with the ability to manage permissions to the content. Their collection of documents is organized into a standardized content structure, and they have improved ability to search and locate current and historical documents.
Now they can:
- Access their information according to functional organization structure.
- Benefit from the time savings of automating some of their manual business processes, such as the Time-Off Request workflow.
- Ensure their documents are securely stored with appropriate access and version control.
- Collaborate on documents.