Background and History
Fraser River Pile & Dredge (GP) Inc. (FRPD) is Canada’s largest Marine, Land Foundations, and Dredging company. FRPD is a recognized leader that delivers state of the art methods and equipment. FRPD’s versatile fleet of cutter section and hopper dredges, spud barges, cranes, dump barges, and flat scows and drilling equipment is ready to complete all scope and size Marine, Environmental Remediation, Dredging and Land Foundation projects. Established in 1911 as Fraser River Pile Driving Company and incorporated in 2008 as Fraser River Pile & Dredge (GP) Inc, FRPD’s team of professionals brings more than 100 years of experience and commitment to exceeding expectations.
FRPD was experiencing low user engagement, poor scalability, and site proliferation issues with their existing SharePoint 2007 implementation using a free, limited version of SharePoint.
Their challenges were:
- Each department had unique requirements.
- They wanted to work towards ISO compliance.
- They had field staff who needed quick access to critical operations information via their mobile device.
Spot Solutions was engaged by FRPD to develop a Document Management Portal solution to meet the requirements of each of their five departments while being compliant with ISO.
Experts at Spot Solutions developed the portal using SharePoint Online, Power Apps, and Power Automate. This project included the development of:
- Automatically applied metadata to categorize content.
- Document library architecture and structure.
- Workflows for review, approval, and publishing of content.
- Collaboration portals for each responsible business unit to develop documentation for publishing.
FRPD now has a dynamic, self-sustaining, ISO compliant document management portal that maintains document hierarchy and structure for all departments, automatically applies governance policy rules for controlled and uncontrolled document repositories, implements application approval workflows for controlled documents, and enforces a document numbering and naming system.
Now they can:
- Reallocate time previously spent on manual processes.
- Achieve ISO compliance.
- Know that their files are compliant with their governance policy.
- Access critical operations information quickly while in the field via mobile device.