Background and History
JDS Energy & Mining Inc. (JDS) was founded in 2004 and is now composed of a diverse set of skilled and highly experienced mining and construction professionals. With a proven record providing clients with fit-for-purpose solutions and value delivery, JDS has acquired a reputation for delivering and executing project plans on budget, on time, and most importantly, safely. The JDS team prides itself on delivering project concepts from inception to full operations – a process it has executed seamlessly for operations throughout Canada and the world, including the Minto Mine in the Yukon, the Gahcho Kue Mine located in the Northwest Territories, and most recently the Silvertip Mine in northern British Columbia.
JDS employees had a business need for more effective collaboration than their existing 2007 SharePoint site could provide. The organization required a modern, well-designed SharePoint online site that was scalable and “future proof”.
Their challenges were:
- An outdated document control solution
- Poor collaboration on information sharing and business processes across different arms of the business
- Lack of business-wide workflow automation
JDS engaged Spot Solutions for the design, architecture, build, and test of their intranet based on Microsoft SharePoint online. The design included a developing a custom home page and team sites; developing custom style sheets, a custom news webpart, and a custom workflow; and implementing email notifications and governance strategies. Spot Solutions provided user training on permissions settings, news postings, workflow notifications, subsite creation, and minor configuration modifications. The project team was available post go-live for ongoing support.
JDS now have a modern, scalable intranet and content management system that enhances collaboration and security of their information.
Now they can:
- Safely store their documents in their enterprise-wide document control solution
- Securely collaborate on information sharing and business processes across different arms of the business
- Use business-wide workflow automation to provide advantages across the enterprise