Background and History
Vancouver Community College is a public community college in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. Founded in 1965, it is the largest and oldest community college in British Columbia, offering academic, cultural, and social environments that inspire relevant real-world training.
University Mobility in Asia and the Pacific (UMAP) is a consortium of Higher Education Institutions and partners. They work together to expand study abroad opportunities across the Asia Pacific region via short and long-term in-person and virtual exchange programs and Collaborative Online International Learning (COIL) experiences. Vancouver Community College (VCC) is one of its participating institutions.
VCC re-envisioned UMAP’s old system, developed in 2018 by an institution in Japan using deprecated technology. The application is a platform built for the administration of UMAP programs, used by colleges and universities belonging to this program and its students.
Their challenges were:
- The platform was built on technology that had been deprecated.
- They wanted the platform to improve collaboration and business productivity.
- The number of institutions using the platform was growing.
Using a recommended technology stack comprised of .Net and SQL server applications, Spot Solutions designed and developed a new UMAP application to meet the needs of stakeholders.
The new UMAP application includes:
- multiple screens and dashboards for capturing and displaying data.
- role-based security.
- business workflows such as registrations, publishing programs, nomination and acceptance, student applications, automated tasks, and push notifications, among others.
VCC now has an enhanced UMAP web-based application that is efficient, easy to use, and was deployed using the latest technology. VCC is continuing to work with SPOT SOLUTIONS for ongoing support and further improvements.
Now they can:
- Accommodate the increasing number of participating institutions, expanding membership countries, and a growing number of students and program offerings.
- Easily maintain the application.
- Further enhance the application to improve their business process.